Two-thirds of our state’s rapid population growth over the past decade has come from Latinos.
That emerging demographic will eventually turn Texas Blue. But for our schools and families struggling under disastrous Republican policies, “eventually” isn’t soon enough.
That’s why we developed this bold and innovative new approach to Latino outreach - The Promesa Project.
Our project was carefully conceived and constructed based on two key research findings:
- Young Latinos are increasingly the trusted sources of political information in their families and social circles.
- The internet has surpassed television as the main sources of political information for young people under 30.
We’re utilizing a combination of online and grassroots techniques to reach out to young Latinos and ask them to give us their promise, or “Promesa,” that they will vote Democratic and be our Democratic messengers to their families and social networks.
We'll use online outreach, campus organizing, our extensive network of young Latino Party Leaders and elected officials, and we'll integrate all data gathered into our voter database so it can be used in Get-Out-The-Vote operations.
But to go a step further, we'll also be integrating the very latest in online tools and techniques, including:
- In-house production of web videos, which are shareable and optimized for mobile devices.
- Talking points on various topics in a slideshow format, which are shareable online so they can be used in discussions at the kitchen table or on social media sites.
- Social media identities on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google+ and Vimeo.
- Paid ads on social media which only recently have developed targeting and placement options that now make these incredibly efficient and effective.
This project can potentially bridge the gap between the Texas that Republicans have created for us and the one we deserve.